Oct 30, 2011

Vietnam Part II

The French occupied Vietnam, or French Indochine, between 1887 and 1954. There is a definite French mark left on the city. In the morning, you can buy baguettes at street stalls and the boulevards in the centre are broad and French-styled. There is even a French opera house. In this picture I managed to capture the Cathedral and a couple taking their wedding pictures.

Me and Daniel in front of the city hall.

Vietnamese food is delicious and healthy. I hadn't seen this many green food items since I left Holland. In the picture you see a crunchy pancake and watermelon juicy. I had the best juice EVER that weekend; strawberry apply juicy! Maybe I'll try making that when I'm back in Holland. :)

On our way to the Mekong Delta rivers, we stopped at a temple complex. Interestingly enough, the temple is Buddhist, Confucianist, and Taoist. All these elements are combined to form some stunning temples.

A HUGE statue of Buddha stood next to the temple.

We went to turtle and coconut island by boat, and then we took a traditional fisher's boat to traverse across the island. Only 6 people fit on the long boat and 2 people steer the fleet through the narrow passageways.

During lunch, we were served "elephant fish".

And before we left Vietnam, I got a manicure. The manicurist was able to create the nail art within 15 min. on all my 10 fingernails and the cost was 7 EUR in total.

If you want to travel to SE Asia, skip Thailand and head to Vietnam instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment