Aug 3, 2011

Flight

My journey started on Friday morning, the 29th of July, as I passed through customs and made my way to Starbucks. Always a good start – especially before a 12 hour long flight. I departed at 11:15 AM Dutch time on Friday and arrived in Singapore on Saturday morning 5:40 AM. After a quick taxi ride, I had arrived at the Park Regis where I would be staying for 2 nights. The only problem was that at 7 in the morning they didn’t have a clean room available so I had to wait. Luckily enough, my favorite coffee house (guess which one) was right around the corner and I was able to fully appreciate the awesomeness of a Kindle (reading about Becky Bloomwood).

Observations:

• Singaporeans love food. There are so many restaurant and coffee places EVERYWHERE! And most of them are close to the sidewalk, with huge windows, so that you always have a view of what’s going on outside.

• The weather is… hot. I may have mentioned this before, but it’s really true. In the morning it’s rather pleasant, but in the afternoon it’s like you’ve walked into a warm blanket. Note to self: relax and walk slowly (not the fast Dutch pace).

• There are all types of people here. Malay, Chinese, Indian, Mixed, Brits. It kind of makes me feel special, because I am part of a “minority” now. Most of the Caucasians are easily recognizable as either Brits or Aussies.

• The city is hectic with loads of people, but it still feels very serene and calm. Take it easy kind of vibe. Maybe I feel this, because currently I don’t yet have too many things to do and can experience Singapore fully.


P.s. I was looking out of the window of the plane and when we were flying through the night sky above northern Pakistan we witnessed a thunder storm. It lasted nearly half an hour and lighted up the sky with beautiful lightning strikes; created a bit of an ominous feeling, but very cool to witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment