Sep 26, 2011

Culture Shock

For the first time in my life I experienced culture shock. Strangely enough, I didn't experience it in Manila, but in Bangkok. The city is so different and far removed from what I'm used to that I was in complete shock most of the first day. The streets, the way the system is set up, the markets were all unexpectedly different. Sometimes surprisingly pleasant, other times conspicuously disappointing. I enjoyed my trip to Bangkok with my Swedish friend Sofie. For now, here is an itinerary of what we did (pictures to follow):

Friday
- walk around Sukhumvitz
- take the MRT to Hard Rock Cafe
- walk around the centre (Siam)
- enjoy a relaxing oil massage
- watch "Friends with Benefits" in a VIP movie theater aka huge lounge chairs

Saturday
- visit Grande Palace
- take a boat ride across the bustling river
- walk around Wat Arun temple
- walk around chatuchak market (8 acres which 300,000 people visit per weekend)
- have drinks (Hangovertini) on top of the Lebua tower 360 degree sky bar where they filmed the Hangover 2; an amazing view of the stretched out skyline
- have drinks in an American diner and visit Insomnia night club

Sunday
- visit a floating market 1 hr outside of the city
- have dinner at an English pub
- view a ladyboy cabaret show (Calypso cabaret)

I ate a lot of Thai food; some spicy, some bland. I am as of now indifferent, but perhaps in Phuket I will extend my taste palette and learn to enjoy Thai cuisine a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment